Wage & Pay Grade: $28.52/hour (PG19)
Date Posted: March 22, 2021
Who we are…
The Pacific National Exhibition is an iconic institution in BC, famous for bringing generations of people together to celebrate and build memories. This 110 year old, non-profit organization has an annual operating budget of $48 million dollars and generates revenue through four activity streams: the 15 day annual summer Fair which averages 800,000 guests each year, Playland amusement park which welcomes 375,000 guests annually including Fright Nights, year-round events including concerts, trade shows and film, cultural and community events. The fourth activity stream is park care and facility maintenance. The PNE is proud of the work it does at Hastings Park and has a vibrant team that is passionate about events, guest experience and being the best we can be.
We are looking for a hardworking and passionate individual to ensure that our grounds are maintained and kept to a high standard for our guests and the community. The Gardener of the PNE Tech Services Department will work under the direction of the Manager, Tech Services and garden, manage and cultivate various plants, flowers and shrubs that are on the PNE site.
Why join our Team?
- Exhilarating and fun-loving culture
- Flexible work environment
- Health and wellness employee events – put your hiking boots on, or enjoy an evening out with your favorite colleagues
- Opportunity for free or discounted tickets to shows, events, sports games, and much more
- Staff discounts for Playland, The Fair, and Fright Nights, as well as all PNE Food Stands
- On-site fitness center
- Competitive compensation package
- Opportunity to create lasting memories and friendships!
What will you do this year?
In your role as a Gardener, your primary accountabilities will be to:
- Responsible for taking care of the various plants, flowers, and shrubs that are present on the grounds
- Plant, cultivate, fertilize, and prune numerous varieties of plants, flowers, shrubs, bushes, and trees
- Assign and supervise the work of one or more Gardener’s Helpers engaged in routine gardening tasks
- Ensure projects are completed within specified time and notify supervisor if difficulties arise
- Operate and maintain gardening equipment and tools.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment
- Maintain clean hygiene and following company COVID protocols.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Must have a valid class 5 BC Driver’s License
- Enrolled or graduated from a recognized horticultural or landscaping program; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3 years of gardening experience is preferred
- Thorough knowledge of the planting, cultivating and care of a wide variety of plants, shrubs, trees and flowers; of methods, materials, tools and practices
- Excellent knowledge of plant material
- Ability to perform continuous strenuous activity
- Capable of working at heights and lifting heavy materials up to WCB restrictions
- Physically able to work in awkward positions
- Possess knowledge of the hazards and proper safety precautions of the construction trades
- Ability to interact with the public and answer gardening related questions as required
- Must be capable of reading, writing and speaking English for the purposes of written or oral instructions, timesheets and documentation of work
- Candidates must undergo a Criminal Record Check.
Who are you?
- Customer service driven
Where and when to APPLY?
Applications can be submitted via the PNE website at www.pne.ca/jobs and will be accepted until the role is filled.
Preference will be given to candidates who submit their resume/cover letter before Sunday April 4. We look forward to hearing from you!