Date: October 25, 2022
Who we are…
The Pacific National Exhibition is an iconic institution in BC, famous for bringing generations of people together to celebrate and build memories. This 112 year old, non-profit organization has an annual operating budget of $48 million dollars and generates revenue through four activity streams: the 15 day annual summer Fair which averages 800,000 guests each year, Playland amusement park which welcomes 375,000 guests annually including Fright Nights, year-round events including concerts, trade shows and film, cultural and community events. The fourth activity stream is park care and facility maintenance. The PNE is proud of the work it does at Hastings Park and has a vibrant team that is passionate about events, guest experience and being the best we can be.
We are seeking a mechanically apt individual that has a passion for the Attractions & Entertainment industry; and the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE). The Maintenance Trades Manager will be responsible for the management and provision of a range of Trade’s/technical services to ensure that the grounds and facilities are fully maintained, operational and safe for those utilizing the PNE site. With a strong focus on safety, the incumbent will contribute to developing and implementing preventative and predictive maintenance schedules within a project management framework.
Our ideal candidate is an individual that has trades proficiency and a Red Seal in an applicable trade; they have a passion for managing projects and workers, possess a strong work ethic, are highly organized and can multitask in a fast paced / time sensitive environment. The successful incumbent will ensure compliance with all health and safety requirements and all other applicable legislation and company policies.
Why join our Team?
- Exhilarating and fun-loving culture
- Flexible work environment
- Opportunity for free or discounted tickets to shows, events, sports games, and much more
- Staff discounts for Playland, The Fair, and Fright Nights, as well as all PNE Food Stands
- On-site fitness center
- Opportunity to create lasting memories and friendships!
What will you do this year?
In your role as Maintenance Manager - Trades, your primary accountabilities will be to:
- Plan, manage and organize the provision of a complete range of Trade/technical services for the Pacific National Exhibition to ensure that the grounds and all facilities are fully maintained, operational and safe for exhibitors and the public visiting the site or attending numerous events throughout the year.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of preventative maintenance programs for fleet, assets grounds and facilities.
- Provide leadership and management of a variety of Trade Shops within the Facilities & Maintenance department – which includes, Machine Shop, Carpenters, Sign Shop, Coliseum Engineers, Electricians, Gardeners, and Plumbers.
- Develop and staff a responsive and highly skilled organizational structure within the Trades F&M trades groups, provides direction to staff in the attainment of the Department's goals, and allocates resources to meet the organization's needs for technical services.
- Develop operating budgets for the Trades within F&M Department, and capital and maintenance budgets for the PNE.
- Participates as a member of the F&M Management team in the development of long range and strategic plans for the organization (strategic & business planning).
- Provides direction, advice and guidance to Director, F&M and on technical services matters, needed repairs and asset replacement timelines.
- Sets standards of maintenance in conjunction with the Director, F&M, schedules short‑term and long‑term preventative maintenance programs, prepares detailed project cost estimates for capital, events preparation and non-‑ routine maintenance
- Develops, manages, and organizes adherence to standards and regulations by all trade groups within F&M.
- Provides professional support to Playland – PNE’s Amusement Park, through trades – in both preventative maintenance and reactive support for Playland’s facilities and infrastructure
- Selects and negotiates with outside contractors as required, monitors, and approves works and approves invoices for payment.
- Liaises with external authorities such as the City of Vancouver, Technical Safety BC, BC Hydro, Fortis, WorkSafe BC, trade inspectors and other governing agencies.
- Conducts special studies, makes presentations, and participates in committee work relating to the areas of responsibility.
- Maintains current awareness of developments in the construction, maintenance, and operation of facilities and grounds, and event preparation.
- Maintain and update training programs and manuals for staff; ensure understanding of policies, procedures, and safety standards.
- Create, document, and implement safe work procedures that adhere to OHS regulation for the safety of staff.
- Conduct and document risk/hazard assessments for Hasting Parks facilities and grounds to ensure guest safety on site, document and ensure completion of recommended corrective actions.
- Perform crew talks and promote a safety culture within the team and across the site.
- Administer Collective Agreement pertaining to Full-time and Casual staff with support from the People & Culture Department, including employee issues, investigations, and discipline.
- Responds to physical plant and Facility & Grounds problems at any time of the day or night – in urgent situations.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in providing leadership and managing trades workers or construction work, project management OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years’ experience managing teams and effectively engaging staff in a construction, maintenance, or engineering industry.
- Completion of a post-secondary degree/diploma/certificate in a relevant discipline (i.e. Construction, Trades (TQ), Mechanical/Civil Engineering, Millwright etc.); OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent knowledge of trades, engineering, construction, and maintenance practices, procedures, and regulations, including cost estimating, scheduling, licensing and permits/approvals.
- Project Management experience and/or education and knowledge of MS Project and/or other PM systems
- Asset Management experience & experience managing Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS) preferred
- Exceptional planning, organizational, analytical, and administrative skills.
- Excellent communication, facilitation, negotiation, interpersonal, supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to direct and manage the provision of high-quality technical services, within a dynamic and publicly visible enviornment.
- Ability to identify and analyse technical service needs and develop plans and strategies to meet capital, maintenance, and event requirements.
- Ability to foster effective working relationships with peers, subordinates, staff, Union officials and officials of relevant external agencies.
- Ability to function independently and under pressure and ability to manage various projects at the same time, including emergency situations.
- Ability to identify and analyse the departments requirements for human resources services and develop appropriate plans and strategies to meet identified needs.
- Successful candidates must undergo a Criminal Record Check.
Who are you?
- Mechanically Inclined
- Effective leader
- Safety focused
- Team player
Where and when to APPLY?
Applications can be submitted via the PNE website at www.pne.ca/jobs and will be accepted until the role is filled.
We look forward to hearing from you!
The PNE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating an inclusive workforce that reflects the diverse community we proudly serve. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or age. If you require any support or accommodations throughout any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the People & Culture Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.